Frankly speaking, I used to believe in propaganda such as “10 days to get the history of junior high school” and “15 days to get the biology of senior high school”, so I foolishly thought that I could get rewards and gains by intermittent efforts. This wrong idea has been bothering me for a long time. It always makes me want to take shortcuts in my study, and I am tired of really giving all my strength, and finally I can only receive a meager return.

I once heard an example about fixed thinking pattern. If you show a person two photos, the person in one photo is handsome and elegant; The person in the other photo is ugly and vulgar. Then tell this man that one of these two men is a wanted criminal in the whole country, and point out who the criminal is. This person tends to think that ugly and vulgar people are criminals. This kind of thinking is a very interesting phenomenon. In fact, I also get caught up in the mindset. For example, when I was in junior high school, my physics performance was always poor, and I scored 59 points in a final exam. Although I made progress, I still failed. At that time, I thought, “Hey, I knew that people like me were not suitable for studying L science, so I was not good at physics and always failed the exam. Forget it!” For example, when I was in junior high school, I represented my school in the city basketball competition, and I won the championship all the way. I thought at that time: this victory is the best proof of my ability. I am the best, and no one can surpass myself. This kind of mindset often makes my mood fluctuate between complacency and inferiority, which has a great obstacle to my study. For example, I will subconsciously reject the subjects that I am not good at, and feel that I am “not gifted and can’t learn”. At the same time, I will be more willing to learn those subjects that I am good at, which leads to my serious partial subjects, good ones are better, and bad ones are worse. I used to encourage me to have a good attitude, but I don’t think verbal encouragement has much effect on me. If possible, I hope my tutor can use behaviorism to encourage me to change through rewards and punishments.

Reference

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective.Performance improvement quarterly, 6(4), 50-72.